Site Analysis and Testing for your Timber Floor
When it comes to selecting the right timber floor, its not always as simple as selecting any timber from any manufacturer and installing it. Just like when you build a new home you have to consider your site conditions, so is the case when choosing and installing your timber flooring. The wrong product, preparation or installation can, and often does, result in a poor performing or damaging floor.
At NS Timber Flooring our years of industry expertise has not only given us the knowledge on what products are the best for use, but we have also developed an exclusive Site Analysis and Testing system that gets into the finer factors, such as Equilibrium Moisture Content, to ensure we create a quality timber floor every time.
Equilibrium Moisture Content
EMC, also known as “Equilibrium Moisture Content”, plays a major factor of why floors will fail. Alas I here you saying, how does EMC apply to timber floors and why would it make them fail?
For the best way of explaining this you need to take into 3 factors for your floors:
1. Each product range has a different moisture content – you need to know this.
2. Evaluate the job site – are you on a hill or bottom of a water way?
3. Choosing the right install, time to install and finishing method.
The simplest way of putting this is that if you are on top of a hill with high winds, then your moisture content will be very different to your neighbours at the bottom of the hill. Likewise, if you’re on acreage or in the city, this impacts which products and install methods should be used.
So this is where the math comes in:
Moisture Content = Timber Weight – Oven-dry Weight / Over-dry Weight X 100%
This gives us the moisture% of the timber product
So for those of you still scratching your head I have put a live example of a recent project.
Location: Cleveland, QLD
Brisbane’s EMC average is normally 10.5% and stays pretty stable around that figure, but due to where Cleveland is located, close to the water, you need to add approximately 1.5% which makes a total of 12%.
In this case installation was needed mid-winter in August – the core issue here is that the EMC is now 9.0%, 3% below the calculated 12% Now 3% does not seem like a big deal however, just imagine for a moment standing on your floor and you have had up to 12mm movement per linier meter of flooring installed! Not going to look to pretty is it?
Now this is a subject that is consistently under large debate by different opinions in the industry: Do we acclimatise? What expansion is required? It can be frustrating to find factual information, however we pride ourselves on using our experience along with factual data to help you choose the best product that will perform for years to come.
When it comes to adding beauty and value to your home, one of the best possible ways is with solid timber flooring that will last a lifetime. By taking into account these different factors when looking at different timber based products you will always make the right decision.
Avoid the mine field of product selection and quality uncertainties, and contact our expert team today for further information on which products would be suitable for your location, so you can make the PERFECT product choice.
Elegant Oak, a new pre-finished timber flooring product boasting a beautiful character in the timber's appearance. Available in colours to suit the designer within.